Monday, May 22, 2006

Cartoon Review: The School Show Starring School/Rant of Cartoons These Days




Matt Wilson, even though some claim he’s a jerk (I never even talked to him, so I don’t know.), is completely right. Every show now is being set in school. Before I knew of TSSSS, I was watching Disney Channel, and then they were all like, “OFGM, NEW SHOWZ!!1 It’s called The Emperor’s New School!” I snapped. Not only was it a bastardized so called “cartoon” but it just took my favorite Disney Movie ever and butt raped it.

Are cartoonists so unoriginal these days that they have to slap some stupid characters in school? I didn’t even bother to watch My Gym Partner’s A Monkey, because I knew it already sucked. I refuse to watch any of the newer episodes of Ed, Edd, & Eddy because it’s now set in school. I’m really sure children want to go home after a rough day of learning, homework, and mean teachers, and turn on their TV’s to watch the same exact thing happen to a cartoon. How can this be interesting? How can this appeal to kids? How can it even appeal to ANYBODY? Oh yeah, those 500-pound fan boys who dream of hitting a Power Puff Girl every night, my bad.

Not only this, but now they must cancel the GOOD shows? What, Dexter’s Lab isn’t good anymore since the majority of the plots don’t take place in school? Johnny Bravo’s too sexist? Explain this to me Cartoon Network. Before you know it, it’ll be called Cartoon Schoolwork, where we’ll show crappy reruns of cartoons with stupid children in schools! HOW FUN! A constant reminder of YOUR horrible life!

This leads me into my review. If you survived those three paragraphs, congratulations! When I first heard of Bonus Stage’s canceling, I thought I couldn’t live anymore. Seriously. Call me a nerd or a person who needs to get out more, but it just seemed only yesterday that I first discovered Bonus Stage, and then it was ripped away from me. I wondered what Matt Wilson was up to, if anything else, next. I was surfing around the Bonus Stage Wiki, and then came upon Matt’s Newer Couch Slave site. I then was happy. It may have been the end of Bonus Stage, but not the end of Matt Wilson! I read all the descriptions for upcoming series, and The School Show Starring School was the one that caught me the most. I was able to say (well, more like think), “F*ck Bonus Stage! The School Show Starring School!” Bonus Stage was getting more repetitive for my tastes. Joel would throw in a witty remark, Phil would whine in a weird pose, Joel will insult him and throw in a reference, all around some story. It was it’s time to die. Though I’ll miss it, Matt now has more freedom without the burden of people on his back, forcing him to stay up until 4A.M. with coffee just to make another episode to get them to shut up. And then they complain if the episode isn’t as good as the last, boo-hoo. Download Flash yourself and make something better, you prick.

As the title suggests, it is placed in school. Now why am I liking this show if it’s placed in school? It follows a totally different storyline with much more unique characters. The school shows today just basically add something to make it different. “Let’s throw some animals in a school! It’d be so cool! I rymed, I’m so FUNNY!”

TSSSS follows the main character Emiko, as she controls the story anyway she wants to. If they’re something she doesn’t like, she’ll do it her way. She doesn’t follow what the school administrators tell her what to do. It doesn’t mean she’s all “Mean and Bad Rule Breaker!”. It means if she has a test she is going to fail, she’ll say “Screw it!” and go eat a hamburger instead. Her wild and crazy imagination that none of the other students seem to have gets in the way of normalcy. But she still is just a girl after all. She likes ponies and tea parties and GIRLY STUFF! Well, actually, I don’t know if she likes that stuff….because she’s not my character. BUT ANYWAY..

Her best friends are Tischelle and Phara. I don’t really have a lot to say about those crazy dudes, but I will say this is one of the most original series pitches I’ve seen since, I don’t know, Rocko’s Modern Life? They also got crazy cooky backs that are all bendy. FUN! And I especially like their unique names. Why settle for something like “Sarah” or “John”? Why not EMIKO! It looks sorta like ESKIMO!! EXCLAMATIONS!!!

Basically, I’m very excited to see how this series will come out. If it does get on Cartoon Network, hopefully then they’d get some more original shows to finally start to climb themselves out of that slime hole they let themselves get into. Right now, they’re on a tiny thread and hanging on with Lazlo, Foster’s, and Grim. If they were to reject TSSSS, I’ll be ultra super MAD! I’d probably go into my room and cry. Then ask myself, “What would Emiko do?” and go eat a hamburger or fail a test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home